We’re here to help you take the next step
Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy is the treatment of your body’s complex network of bones, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and cartilage using detailed assessment and diagnosis to identify a working treatment plan. With musculoskeletal issues, it is best to seek treatment early.
Treatment will include reducing and eliminating pain and stiffness as well as preventing future injuries or recurrences.
Hip and Groin Clinic
Our team has participated in research surrounding Hip Arthroscopy and travelled and presented internationally for the International Society of Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA) including Munich, Cambridge, Madrid and Chile.
We are on hand to answer all your questions and explain anything you need to know relating to our techniques, treatments and management of your hip and groin pain through your individual physiotherapy plan.
Some of the more complex issues we treat include:
- Acetabular labral tears
- Femoro- acetabular Impingement Syndrome (FAIs)
- Ligamentum Teres tear
- Post-arthroscopic surgery rehabilitation
Our Physiotherapy rehabilitation program is based on the Takla – O’Donnell Protocol (TOD) (created by our senior physiotherapist, Associate Prof. Amir Takla and respected Orthopaedic surgeon, Prof. John O’Donnell).The TOD protocol was recently utilised in the FAIR trial (a randomised controlled trial RCT) and was found to return patients to activity significantly faster than patients who had a standard exercise program.To date, this is the only physiotherapy rehabilitation program that has been tested.
Pre and Post-Operative Physiotherapy
Pre-operative Physiotherapy will improve your surgery knowledge and expectations, help you develop healthy behaviour and movements, and ultimately may reduce your post-operative recovery time.
Pre-operative physiotherapy rehab and education refers to both the physical and educational intervention that is delivered before surgery by one of our physiotherapists.
During your Pre-op Physiotherapy session, you’ll be led through the surgical procedure, associated benefits and potential risks. Finally, after having your questions answered, you’ll be prescribed a tailored exercise program to prepare your body for surgery.
At Australian Sports Physiotherapy, our experienced physiotherapists will liaise with your surgeon and GP every step of the way; assisting you also with your post-operative rehab.
The benefits of Pre-op Physiotherapy includes:
- Normalise altered movement patterns associated with prolonged injury
- Prepare your mind for what to expect after surgery
- Set practical tasks and SMART goals to return to post surgery
- Initiate a tailored home-based exercise program to start day 1 post-surgery
- The ability to reduce post-operative length of stay and long-term rehab cost
- Access to ongoing support with your physiotherapist
Post-operative Physiotherapy or Rehabilitation is a vital component on your road to recovery and return to function.
After your surgery, our physiotherapy treatment will aim to initially reduce your post-surgical pain and swelling, restore early and safe movement patterns, and promote healthy healing.
Our tailored rehabilitation consults may include:
- Re-establish early joint movement
- Walking gait re-education
- Muscle strengthening through safe, progressive strength exercises
- Education regarding a safe return to function
- Home-based and gym exercises
- Return to work or sport specific assessment and programs
Our physiotherapists have numerous long-standing relationships with many orthopaedic surgeons; allowing us to stay up to date with developing surgical techniques and unique procedures; ultimately to aid your optimal recovery.
Common procedures that require post-operative rehabilitation may include:
- Total Hip and knee Replacement
- Hip Arthroscopy. Click here for more information.
- Knee arthroscopy
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) repair
- Shoulder replacement – reverse or anatomical
- Shoulder Rotator cuff repair
- Spinal fusion surgery
- Spinal discectomy and decompression
- Ankle and foot surgery
- Achilles tendon repair
One step further
Injury Rehabilitation and Prevention
As well as providing our community with optimal service; our team has had the opportunity to work with numerous athletes
We have worked with athletes from Gymnastics Victoria, the national women’s sailing team of Israel, and top 10 international tennis players including former world number 1 Lleyton Hewitt and Victoria Azarenka.
We also have well established and streamlined links with elite Orthopaedic Surgeons and Sports Doctors when additional investigations or management is beneficial to your return to function.
Whether you’re an elite athlete or play sport as a hobby on weekends, we offer innovative clinical therapies to get your physical health back on track. Our team of exercise physios can tailor specific treatment plans to suit your individual needs.
Your treatment may include:
- Professional advice & interpretation of medical imaging & tests
- Expert diagnosis, treatment options & return to work estimates
- Efficient referrals for testing & medical imaging including Bone Scans, Blood Tests, MRI & CT Scans.
Don’t hesitate to speak to our physiotherapists for professional advice on your condition.
Formulated in-house by our physiotherapists, our Return to Work/Sport Assessment is a set of thorough testing used to help examine an initial baseline level of mobility, power and control, enabling us to assess your readiness to return to your specific level of activity/performance.
As part of the in-depth consultation process, our physiotherapists will determine the exact cause of your injury and develop a customised plan to best manage your pain moving forward.
Patient education is a vital component of how we work. We use anatomy programs to help you understand your condition and the treatment options available to you.
We use a hands-on approach to restore optimal function and address physical imbalances that may cause you a variety of symptoms.
When you see us, you can expect:
- 30 min standard consultations
Thorough physical examination and diagnosis
- Professional advice & interpretation of medical imaging & tests
- Tailored treatment plan based on your goals
- Hands on mobilisation and manipulation
Massage and Stretches
Balance and coordination retraining
- Basic human anatomy education
Education and advice regarding your diagnosis
- Tailored and progressive exercise programs
- Clinical Pilates (one on one consultations) if necessary
- A close relationship with GPs, class leading Orthopaedic surgeons and Sports doctors
- Efficient referrals for testing & medical imaging including Bone Scans, Blood Tests, MRI & CT Scans if needed
No prior referral required. Note: EPC/Team Care arrangements, TAC, Workcover or DVA clients require a referral from their doctor.
From neck stiffness, referred arm and leg pain to muscular and tendon problems, Australian Sports Physio has got you covered. Whether it’s weekly, fortnightly or monthly visits, restoring your physical health and mobility is our number one priority. Our physiotherapists are committed to providing the highest quality treatments that help you live without the restriction of pain or injury.